Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Space

One of my favorite things is tucking the kids in to bed. Everyone is squeaky clean from their baths... they're winding down, and after a long day filled with play the pace is a little slower... everyone is ready for bed.

The routine for each is different. Each is special and suites the personality. Tonight Gavin asked me to lay with him. He was down in the dumps and just needed a little extra snuggling. I was happy to oblige. The exchange that followed is why this time is so dear to me.

Gavin: "Mom, do you know how much I love you?"
Me: "Hmmm?"
Gavin: "All the way to space."
Me: "Oh honey, I love you too."
Us: Quiet. Enjoying our little exchange.
Gavin: "Mom, you know... space goes on forever."
Me: Still. Blown away. Tearful... Grateful... Thanking God for this little boy.

He teaches me something each and every day. He is always keeping me guessing. Making me consider so much... How can someone so small have such a earth-shattering impact? How can someone so young have such an old soul? How can he be so much of my everything?

I suppose it's simple. He's my Space... after all, space goes on forever you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment