Sunday, June 5, 2011

Princess

This weekend has been wonderful! Both yesterday and today were near perfect. If I had my way, we would have spent exactly 10 minutes in the house all weekend long. Days like these are meant to be spent enjoying the outdoors.

Benett was asking to go to the garden before lunch today. We managed to distract him until after Miss Ellie went down for her nap. It was just the two of us, digging in the dirt and soaking up the sun. If not for the gnats (who must thoroughly enjoy taking their frustrations out on humans) I think I could call that time spent alone with Benett "perfect." It's about the only time all weekend that Benett was enjoyable to be around. He's taking this terrible two thing to new extremes. Unfortunately... for all of us... especially him.

While we were transplanting some raspberries, I pointed out the Lilacs to Benett. They were just so fragrant and every now and then the scented breeze would envelop us. It was lovely. When he saw the flowers, Benett said, "Oh, princess flowers." I'm not sure where that came from, but I like it. I think we'll refer to them as such from now on.

The other princess in our life also spent some time outside today. I've learned very quickly to be careful with her outside. She has such sensitive skin... A little bit of sun goes a long way with her. I've taken for granted my own tough skin... I don't burn often, and I'm not sensitive to lotions or things with fragrance or dyes... not Ellie. But thankfully, she's been okay with wearing her sun hat, so her blonde little head will be protected.

I'm not ready for the work week to begin again tomorrow. These summer days have made me selfish with my time and wanting nothing more than to be at home. The thought of spending 10+ hours cooped up inside isn't appealing... but maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be able to sneak in some fresh air in the middle of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment