Friday, July 8, 2011

Petals

I love Black Eyed Susan's. They mean summer to me. They are sunny and bright and just seem so happy. This year the flowers are thick. They've spread and are growing like a carpet in each garden... digging their roots deeper and establishing themselves. I love how wild and carefree they look.

But have you ever noticed them before they unfurl and show their happy faces? They look messy, like they're clinging to themselves... undecided about whether or not to show their lovely faces.

They seem to be peeking through, trying to get a glimpse of what lies beyond their pretty yellow petals. The plants in my garden must feel comfortable with what they see lurking in the great beyond, because eventually they all unfold and make their happy presence known.

Lately, I've been peeking through the proverbial petals in my life too... a little too scared to look too far into the distance, for fear that I might not be able to handle what I see. Also like my perennials, I feel firmly rooted... which is great for creating a stable environment for kids, but isn't always a good thing when we need to be nimble... when the rest of the world is quaking, it's nice to be able to move to a safe place.

I know that as time marches on, I'll become less and less afraid of what's out there... out beyond my petals. I'll feel confidant enough to open up and feel the sun. To smile a happy smile and sway in the breeze... no matter which way it may be blowing. I'll know my roots will keep me safe on the windy days and nourished when the landscape around me becomes parched.

Time will ease my fears and sooth away the angst, helping me to not cling to my worry, but find that carefree feeling of joy... even in the parts of my life that I cannot control.

No comments:

Post a Comment