Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dessert


When I was in third grade, my teacher taught me how to properly spell dessert. "Dessert is twice as tasty as the desert." In my 9-year-old brain, that conjured up thoughts of eating sand. Not pleasant.

My kids would agree that dessert is twice as good as just about anything. For that reason, and in an effort to try to develop a healthier lifestyle, I'd like to make things like what Gavin's eating in this image, more of a special occasion treat.

I decided that today was a good day to really make a push... To hold my ground and offer more fruit when the "I'm still hungry!" line was used after dinner tonight. To hold my ground, even when Ellie screamed for 45 minutes because she couldn't have a treat that she'd seen sitting on the counter earlier in the day. (Why is it that she can instantly identify when something is missing, that isn't even at her eye-level... but she can't find her pacifier right in front of her?) To hold my ground, even when I'm tired and cranky and just want some quiet.

I felt like a lunatic for trying… today. I’ve been away for a few days, on business. I rushed home… I’ve been missing my kids, you see. I’ve had long days and short nights… I’m tired. My kids weren’t nearly as excited to see me as I was them… There was a lot of crying tonight, which made me wonder why I rushed home.

They're all in bed now. In the still of the night, with the dishwasher wooshing and the dryer tumbling I am glad I rushed back. That’s easier to say when they’re not crying in my face, or locking every door in the house and then pulling each door closed for some unknown reason. (If the door locking thing is to get a reaction, Benett was successful. Sheesh, that gets under my skin!)

With all of that… I really should have picked another day to start our new eating habits… I’m not really sure why, but being healthier has been on my mind quite a bit lately… And waiting didn’t seem like an option. So crying kids, locked doors and sleep deprivation aside, we got the ball rolling today.

I'm confident that hunger pangs won't wake any of us in the night. I'm sure that the meal we had was nutritious and filling. I know they'll test me again tomorrow... but I get to sleep in my own bed tonight… so bring they can bring their worst! I’ll be ready for ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment