Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Order

There is something appealing about a field of corn in the spring. The tender green shoots emerging, slowly changing the brown landscape to green. Although it's a gradual process, it's almost surprising how quickly a quiet, seemingly barren field springs to life.

The whole orchestra of putting a crop in is the result of hard work and more technology than ever, mother nature and a healthy dose of patience. Something that seems so simple, can be quite complicated. This business of feeding the world is amazing and interesting.

As much as anything, I think I just love the order of it all... evenly spaced and symmetrical... I aspire for my own little corner of the field to look as evenly spaced and orderly as this... I guess that's the difference between the professionals creating this landscape and the two-year-old who helped create mine...

I act disgruntled about it... but the truth is, I love my crooked little rows... it's proof of the love that our family feels for this place... For the land that we have such a connection with... that may sound strange, but anywhere else, and I don't know that it would be as important as it is here... I guess if a family lives in a place for a hundred-fifty years or so, it just becomes a part of your DNA... This way of life is as much of who we are as anything... and to pass that along to my kids is one of the most important things that I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment