Monday, May 30, 2011

Instinct


In case you're wondering, our good little mother has been tending her nest faithfully. Today she spent some time cleaning up her modest home... it was a little frustrating to watch. The wind blew and blew, all day long... yet she worked her way around the little Barberry bush removing the debris that would blow in. She even had a friend over to help... I'd like to think that was father bird, making sure that everything was safe and sound.

She's difficult to see in the image above, but she's right in the center, nestled into the rocks. Camouflaged and quiet. I have never been able to get close enough to one of these birds to notice their interesting coloring. I especially like the white eyebrows. (I can relate... why my gray hair is congregating there I can't fathom... but that's another topic for another day.)

She have been very vigilant. Even the fainest sound (or faint to my human ears) sends her scurrying from the nest in order to draw danger away from her clutch of eggs. Instinct. She loves those little eggs... so she keeps them warm and dry... safe from danger... Like any good mother would.

No comments:

Post a Comment