Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Temporary Righty

The results of Gavin's x-ray confirmed that his finger was fractured. I'm not sure why they have such a convoluted way of doing things sometimes, but the doctors asked us to visit the ER this morning to get treatment and a cast. Why not just make an appointment in the Casting Department directly?

I won't go there...

So we got up early and made our way to the hospital early this morning. I didn't want to spend my day waiting to be seen. Things went smoothly, and there was no wait to speak of. The most difficult part was that they asked that Gavin not eat before the procedure. He is always (always) hungry. And boy, oh boy, this kid can eat... not eating was a hardship.

We decided that since correcting the misalignment of the finger could cause more damage to the growth plate, that we'd just cast his hand the way it was. I'm hoping the doctor really knows his stuff... he said the finger would most likely correct itself anyway... no need for the additional trauma.

I have a feeling Gavin's hand/finger is going to have permanent 'character' and will be a constant reminder that I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM IN RIGHT AWAY! I keep kicking myself... but it just seemed like a jammed finger. A sprain. No big deal, right? Wrong again... Despite my lack of motherly-medical instinct, Gavin has been a trooper.

He's even getting used to being a Temporary Righty. I'm thinking that if he has to become right hand dominant for the next three weeks that I should try to become a Temporary Lefty. I think I'll give it a shot, but I'm not holding out much hope of being able to stick with it. It's a good thing Gavin is more patient that I.

No comments:

Post a Comment