Saturday, April 2, 2011

Taos

This is Taos Pueblo. The community is settled under the watchful eye of the mountains. The buildings and the Hornos (Spanish for Adobe ovens) have a quiet beauty.

The people were so nice and one man we met was so friendly. He chatted with us quite a bit. The others seemed sad. The quiet magnified that feeling for me. I wanted to hear children at play. I wanted to hear the babbling of the nearby river. But it was quiet.

The other thing I noticed was the smell. The ovens burn cedar wood. It's a wonderful smell.

I'm not sure why, but I was especially enthralled by the ovens. There is something about them that attracted me. We bought some bread baked in the oven, that morning. It was a small but heavy loaf. It looked delightful. We saved it and ate it with our evening cocktails. It tasted just as good as it looked... very satisfying.

We're off for our adventure today. I wonder what will cross our path...

No comments:

Post a Comment