Sunday, April 24, 2011

Invisible

Last night I had the misfortune of sewing with invisible thread.

I was making Ellie a little felt Easter bag. I thought it would be easy for her to carry while gathering eggs. I also thought that since I was using multi-colored ric-rac, I'd use invisible thread. Brilliant!

You see, the trouble with invisible thread is that... it's invisible. Imagine trying to wind a bobbin with invisible thread. Not fun.

In addition to not being able to see it, this thread is also slippery. It's like sewing with really thin fishing line. It tends to slip off the spool and get wound around the spool pin... which wouldn't be a big deal, if it weren't INVISIBLE. It's a frustrating task, untying a knot.

When it winds around the pin, the thread gets pulled too taught and the bobbin starts to act wonky, making loops on the back of the fabric. Eventually, the thread will snap.... and because the thread is INVISIBLE one may sew along for a while before realizing.

Exasperating this scenario was the time. It didn't help that it was late and I was trying to finish. At long last, I got it done... but needless to say, I won't be sewing with invisible thread again in the very near future... Invisible thread has taken round one. But don't worry about me, I'm feisty. I'll be back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment