Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pieces

Legos are not a fad at our house, they are a way of life. Legos are 24/7... and scattered all over the house. It's like they can't be contained... Gavin also doesn't want to be too far from them, so he plants Lego cars/space ships/motorcycles/etc throughout the house. It used to drive me nuts, but I'm used to it now.

I think even my feet are getting on the bandwagon, because it doesn't seem to hurt as much when I step on them these days.

The cool thing about Legos is that you can make almost anything with them. All you need is a little imagination, a dash of problem solving and the patience to dig through a pile of bricks in search of just the right piece. That also seems to be a good analogy for my life.

Imagination and creativity are things that wax and wane for me. Some days I feel really inspired. Other days not so much. Inspiration isn't something that I can command. It's not an on-demand service. I wish it were.

As a mother of three, problem solving is a basic job requirement. Things fall apart when problems don't get solved... it's a skill to recognize potential problems as opportunities. I'm trying to hone this skill. I've got a long way to go.

And patiences? Well, I'm trying... but I'm not very patient with myself either. This trait will take a lifetime to master.

In the meantime, I'm digging for that one elusive piece that will snap into place and make this thing that I'm creating just right. The trouble is, I don't know what that piece looks like. I have a vague idea of what the piece should do, but I just haven't found it. So, until I find that perfect piece I'll make do with what I have... it may take just a little extra creativity... It's funny the lessons that an adult can learn from a little boy with his pile of Legos.

No comments:

Post a Comment