Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Contemplate

I was minding my own business today. I wasn't particularly inspired, but there is just so much to do at the office. So... inspired or not, the demands can't be denied. The pace has been hectic. More than busy... manic. It's frustrating and it makes me anxious.

In the midst of all of this, it happened.

Out of nowhere, it seemed so clear. I realized what really and truely matters most. The people in my life have always mattered most, but today the clarity of what that really means struck me like a bolt of lightning.

When I woke up this morning, it seemed like any other day. Ordinary. I didn't wake up and feel like anything particularly special would happen, let alone life changing. But the truth is, each day we all have the ability to make a change. It only requires us to slow down and listen. Listen to our hearts and then act.

The action part is difficult... sometimes it's a slow process. And waiting isn't always an easy thing. Instant gratification is more than a motto, it's a way of life. (The Kindle and Netflix have me spoiled.)

Sometimes action means that things move faster than is comfortable. At my house, we're creatures of habit and the thought of abandoning a comfortable routine... well that's scary.

But what I learned today is that the most important thing is to listen to my heart. It may catch me by surprise... but now I'm hooked. I can't wait to remain quiet and listen some more. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something new and unexpected tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment