Thursday, March 10, 2011

Affection

The love of a child is a wonderful thing. It's the stuff that makes adults soft and pliable. It makes us weak.

There is something special about the request, "Mommy, me sit your lap?" I don't get a lot of snuggle time out of my kids... that's not who they are. They're still very affectionate, but in their own ways.

Affection for Benett is offering his favorite car to you for a 'drive.' It's a little bit of lap time. If you're really lucky, it's a smooch.

This look, with these big brown eyes makes me go soft. I go weak in the knees. It's these big brown eyes that make me consider spending all day just watching him... being amazed by what he can do, what he's becoming... enjoying his personality.


And when I'm really lucky... then I get a smooch... and when that happens... forget about it. I become an irrational person who decides it's a good idea to spend all day in jammies. Forgetting about everything but my responsibility to him and his siblings.

As parents we learn early on to take the good with the bad. There are parts of being a parent that are difficult.... trying... just plain hard. But these gestures of love, which may seem small, make all that other stuff go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment