Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Simple

The growing patch of bare ground, down by the barn, seems to indicate that the weather has warmed a bit. (Although my fingers and toes disagree. Firmly.) The gals were enjoying this bare patch yesterday, and I couldn't help but snap a photo. They were vigorous as they scratched about, trying their very hardest to have a luxurious bath. The photo doesn't do the sight justice... if only it had animated dust and dry grass being tossed this way and that, you'd have the full experience.

Anyway, this sight got me thinking about simply pleasures. I've found that in my life, the definition of a simple pleasure has changed a great deal over the course of the last few years. It's funny how things that once seemed mundane or even tedious, have the ability to evolve into something longed for... almost a life-line, these things ground us to what's most important.

As winter turns to spring, that small patch of ground will grow and the gals will find a new pleasure... tender shoots of green springing forth from the ground... bugs and crawling things... room to roam. The same will be true for me... I too will be able to roam a bit further, with little people at my hip, looking for something new to capture our attention and give us great joy. Simply things, but things that matter nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment