Thursday, January 17, 2013

Baking

There is something about the cold winter weather evokes this kind of need... or an inspiration to bake; for me anyway. Not the lofty, adventurous kind of baking where one tackles the complex or a new recipe... I'm talking about comfort food in desert form.

As a result, we've been baking up a storm around here. Not excessive amounts, by any means, but more than usual. The fact that the gals have been keeping us stocked with a good supply of eggs has helped. I feel required to use a couple each day, even if that means only hard boiling a few to have at the ready if a salad seems lacking.

The mixer has become a mainstay on the counter, whirling away most days. We've made a few kinds of cookies... even a batch of meringues. All of which have been overseen by two little onlookers. Both hover over the bowl in anticipation of a spoon or beater to taste. I know I shouldn't let them sample the batter, with raw eggs included, but I did as a kid and so it seems like the thing to do.

The cookie jar is already nearly empty again... so I think we'll do a little baking tomorrow too. If anyone has a suggestion for a tasty treat, I'd love to hear all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment