Friday, January 4, 2013

Bundling

I'm not as good as I should be about taking the little people outside in the winter months. I'm more of a hunker-down and keep busy inside kind of person... especially where the little people are concerned and doubly when the weather forecast involves snowing and blowing. 

Monte on the other hand is great about getting everyone bundled up and outside. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the long and arduous process of bundling and unbundling, the tears of frustration that inevitably accompany donning boots and mittens, or the piles of sopping wet gear that lay strewn across the entry way floor when everyone gets too cold to remain outside a second longer.

The fresh air does everyone so much good and I certainly notice a huge difference in the boys when they've had a chance to burn off some energy outside. Ellie is a trooper about being outside, even though her cheeks turn a bright shade of fuchsia after 30 seconds in the elements. (Forget about a scarf either... she has a thing about knit-wear on her neck... I think it brings back bad memories of an over-zealous brother who's hugs used to more resemble strangle holds.)

Today, however, the weather is just about perfect... perfect in a wintry-warm kind of way. So we're going sledding at a local hill. It is a surprise for the little people. Just knowing that they have a surprise later today is a thrill for them. I think we'll have fun too... but just in case things get dicey when it comes to pushing double-socked-feet into boots, I've mentally prepared myself. There will be no tears of frustration on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment