Sunday, September 11, 2011

Favorite

Lavender is my favorite flower. It's not showy. It's not grand with brilliant blooms. It's quiet. It's hardy. It smells divine.

It's sweet that the little buds grow not only in clusters at the end of each stalk, but also near the leaves... in two's and three's the little purple bulbs arrange themselves as if they can't help themselves.

I only have two plants, but I love working near them. Each time I brush up against the foliage, I'll pause expectantly for the perfume to reach my nose. That scent is instant relaxation. No matter how much trouble the little people are causing in the garden (or elsewhere) that smell makes the chaos dissipate... a little.

We had a lovely weekend. The weather was wonderful. I feel like we need to soak in these last few weeks of summer... so we spent a bit of time picking flowers and running with bare feet and our toes in the dirt. Ellie was so grubby tonight that she had to soak extra long in her bath. And I promptly scrubbed the tub after she went to bed. I had no idea such a little person could be covered with so much dirt... I try not to think about how much of it she ate.

The little ones are all in bed now. It's so quiet. It's amazing how quiet this place can be, when they're all sleeping. I think I'll venture back outside and cut a few of the purple flowers. It seems like the perfect thing to do and finish the day in relaxing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment