Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sauce

Can you guess what I did today?

Seventy-nine, vine ripened and beautifully bright red tomatoes were transformed into nearly 30 jars of pizza sauce, pasta sauce and tomato sauce. I now have a sauce for every occasion.

We started right after lunch and finished up just as we were setting the table for dinner. It was a long day of blanching, peeling, pureeing, stirring, filling, capping, pressure cooking and hoping.

Last February, when Gavin and I planted all those tiny little tomato seeds, I had no idea we'd have such a large harvest seven months later. It's been a bit of work, but quite satisfying. I wonder if I'll have the same feeling next weekend... there are still all kinds of tomatoes hanging on the vines in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment