Monday, September 5, 2011

Farewell Summer

The end of summer went out on a decided cold and rainy note.

We didn't get to much that was on our weekend wish list, with the exception of some fishing. Since our time at the lake, Gavin has been fancying himself an angler. Although the river was muddy and the day was overcast and chilly, he enjoyed his fishing time with his dad.

Autumn is seemingly upon us and truth be told, I'm happy about that. I'm happy about donning an extra layer in the form of a soft sweatshirt or sweater... and adding a heavier comforter to the bed. I'm happy that the garden is growing at a slower pace, almost as if it's waiting for me to catch up.

I did a little catching up this weekend and canned the first of our tomatoes. Seventeen pints in total. I think they look pretty. And I have to say that listening to the jars as they cool and pop is one of the most satisfying sounds.

They're difficult to see, but the little pink things on the right side of this picture are Ellie's toes. I just couldn't crop them out of the image. I love those chubby little feet. Ell enjoyed "helping" me clean and move the jars to the cellar. To tell the truth, I think she just liked all of the sound affects I was making each time she'd nearly drop a jar. I must have sucked all of the air out of the room at least twice.

So, summer is over. We're all ready for school to start tomorrow... Gavin was really getting bored. I know he'll have a great year at school. I think he'll be challenged and I'm excited to see what's in store for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment