Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reflected

We're trying to make the most of this tail end of summer. There were so many things that we had on our summer 'to-do' list that we just hadn't gotten to... so we're trying to get as much in as we can. It makes for some full weeks.

I'm not sure if it's a result of being so busy trying to squeeze in all of the fun stuff, or just because everyone is ready to get back into a school-year routine, but it seems like some fuses have become a bit short. (Mine included.) Gavin too seems to be easily frustrated with his brother. He needs a change of routine. I think the start of school will be a good thing for him.

Lately, I've also been hearing the little people say things that make me stop in my tracks. I wonder how they come up with some of the things they say... and then I realize that they're just repeaters. They repeat what they hear. Ellie especially is like a little parrot, repeating my words to the boys... correcting them when I do and even when I don't. She's becoming quite good at policing... to the boys' dismay... and mine sometimes as well.

It's funny to think about how we are reflected in our children. Different phases show different reflections... sometimes it might be a gesture or a phrase or even the way they look. And before we know it, all those things have changed and they're on to something else. It happens so quickly.

I've noticed how much Benett has changed this summer. He'll be four soon and although he still looks just the same to me as he always has, he's gotten so grown up. He acts older. He plays older. His imagination seems new and different. I hope he always remains silly though.

Those changes come fast in the little ones, but I notice now too that Gavin seems changed as well. He had a few friends over this week and to hear him interacting with them was fun for me. It was like a little window into his life that I don't get to see that often. He's normally the big brother, running the show with his siblings, but on this day it was a new dynamic.

We have a few more things to pack into our summer... and then before we know it the days will have grown shorter and the nights cooler and we'll be looking at our summer in the rear view mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment