Monday, August 27, 2012

Following

Sometimes it feels good to give up... well... maybe it feels better to let go than to give up. Either way, for the first time in recent memory; perhaps for the first time ever, I've been able to let go of so many things. Things that in the long run didn't really matter anyway. Things that stole time and bandwidth only to dissipate as the current of life swiftly moved us on to the next thing.

I'd like to say this letting go thing came naturally, that it was an easy thing to do once I set my mind to it... but that's not even close to the truth. In reality, lets just say lean towards a Type A mentality. I like to know what's going on and when. I like to know what to expect and be prepared for any outcome.

I didn't wake up one morning and realize that life isn't always neat and orderly. At all. Maybe there are parts of life that could be fashioned to fit within my rigid requirements, but certainly not where my little people are concerned. (Although we ALL love a good, consistent routine.)

These little people are teaching me that there is only so much I can do to change a situation. I feel like I have less control than ever. However, I can guide most situations to an outcome that we can all live with... eventually. Before, I would have considered that any easy route... just following along... but in reality following along is not always easy. It does however, feel more like working with the current of life than fighting against it.

This whole thing is a work in progress. Sometimes I'm unable to let go as much as I should... those are the days I go head to head with Benett. We're so much alike. That likeness leaves little room for compromise on some days... so we try to find common ground.

As it happens, the chickens live on that common ground. All of the little people have come to regard our flock as their own. And although we enjoy how much they love being free to come and go on our property, they are a traveling mess.

You see, they really love to follow us everywhere, leaving a mess of trampled flowers, scratched dirt and droppings in their wake. They've also adopted the back patio as their own. I'm convinced it's because they can see us and hear our voices. It comforts then. But makes us crazy... We tried shooing them away, but to no avail. So, we've given up for now... but we're also building a fence. When it's complete, we'll let the gals out to follow us around only occasionally... I'm sure it will be an outcome we can all live with... eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment