Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hills

A mother's needs always come last. That's okay, it's how it's supposed to be. But some nights, it goes way beyond that concept. On some nights, there is so much to do, it feels like riding bike down a steep hill while pedaling furiously the whole time.

Those nights are okay too, as long as they don't make up the majority of the week. On nights like tonight, I don't even have time to think about myself and the fact that I didn't have dinner, much less feel hungry.

Tonight we had the bikes in high gear and were whizzing down the hill, everything a blur as we went.

Like learning to ride with training wheels, the first step in our busy night can be a little wobbly. Transitioning from daycare to home is challenging on the best days. Tonight we managed to get everyone home by 5:45. It was a minor miracle, but we had to hustle, so we really put our minds to it and kept our bikes on two wheels.

We're picking up speed as Monte popped some chicken into the oven and searched for some fruit while I fed the chickens. By 6:10 the little people were happily eating. 

We're in our stride as the clock ticked 6:20 and it was time for Gavin to get changed, so I could get him to football practice at 6:30. Monte followed at 7:00 with the little ones, so we could all be there to watch Gavin's football game.

At full speed, I took Benett and Ellie home at 7:30 to get them washed-up, teeth and hair brushed and into bed. Monte and Gavin arrived back home by 8:15... It's Gavin's turn to get cleaned-up for bed. Miracle of miracles, Gavin was quick about getting into his PJs, and completing his homework.

By 8:40 we're coasting to the bottom of the hill, and Gavin has finished his work and gone to bed... only 40 minutes late, which isn't too bad for such a busy night. It was a wild ride, but we made it to the bottom! Tomorrow we'll be able to be slower and more deliberate... and have everyone in bed by the 8:00 bedtime.

Just when I think I've made it to the bottom of that very steep hill, and I can sit... maybe enjoy a bowl of Cheerios... I see another hill... only this is a hill to climb... this hill is made up of laundry and dishes begging for my attention.

But the nice thing about going for a bike ride, is that I can decide to keep going, or put the bike away and stay home, and that's just what I've decided to do. Those two things will be waiting for me in the morning, when I'm rested and ready for another hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment