Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Balance

I've heard that life as a working mother is best described as a balancing act. But I’m not really sure what that means... Maybe because being a working mom means that the lines are blurred so much. When I think of balance I think of a fulcrum supporting two items. Balance means that they’re equally weighted… like two children on a see-saw.
My life isn’t like that. I’ll be the first to admit that balance isn’t something I do very well. Work affects me at home. Home affects me at work. Try as I may to keep the two parts separate… I can’t do it. The two aren’t always perfectly weighted. But that’s okay.
I know what is most important to me. Although I’m preoccupied by work sometimes, my family is number one. I’m fiercely passionate about them. My family is what defines who I am. It’s what makes me, me.
The other part is my profession. It’s what I do. It’s a part that has given me some great opportunities… introduced me to people, places and ideas that have helped to shape my world. Ultimately that’s also shaped my children’s collective world. For that I’m grateful. (I think.)
But under it all, is the fulcrum – the thing that supports both parts. My fulcrum is Monte. I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without him. He precariously holds things up. And like any good fulcrum, he’s helping me look for the point of balance. (Don’t tell him that I’m comparing him to a triangle right now.)
I guess what I’m saying is that each of us has our little trade secrets for keeping everything in life orderly, maybe even balanced. For me that secret is Monte.

No comments:

Post a Comment