Monday, February 7, 2011

Armor

Some days we’re required to do battle. While most are just skirmishes there are some times, some topics, that just hit close to home. Those battles are worthy of a more passionate fight.

In my professional life I’ve decided two things. 1) I’m too opinionated about too many things. And 2) the person who coined the phrase “choose your battles” didn’t work in a marketing department. After all, anything worth doing is worth doing right – in business and in life in general.
Each day we arm ourselves with the tools we need to get the job done. Our armor may be knowledge, it may be dedication to a cause, and it may be something else entirely. The important lesson that I’ve learned along my way is that no matter how much I prepare myself, how complete my set of armor, there are always vulnerabilities.
Perhaps a better way to look at this is not as battle and the adversarial connotations that are associated, but rather as opportunities to work together… That evokes a happy feeling and may very well work at the office, but it’s not an option when bundling children up for play time in the snow… that is most definitely a struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment