Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wacky

Being singled out or embarrassed is the stuff of nightmares... especially for kids. For me, I was (and still am) very conscious about what I wear. I do not want to stand out. Period.

I vividly recall the process of deciding what to wear to school including a phone call to a friend. We'd come to a mutual conclusion, making sure everything was just right... even so, I still breathed a sigh of relief when I got on the bus in the morning and my friend was wearing her version of "our" outfit.

This week at Gavin's school is dress up week. Each day has a theme... today was Wacky Wednesday. But much to Gavin's chagrin, he was the only one wearing a wacky outfit.

When I dropped him off, he noticed right away that he was the only one. I felt so bad when I saw his cheeks go pink, and he tried to nonchalantly turn his "wacky" shirt the right way around. I would have driven home to get him a change of clothes, if he'd wanted me to.

But he didn't. He walked right into the fray without giving things a second thought. I admire him so much. I'm not sure I could have done that.

Tonight when he got home, I asked if there were any other wacky kids who showed up... but there were none. "But that's okay, Mom... I still had fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment