Thursday, January 12, 2012

Heart

Why is it that the most simplistic things are sometimes the most difficult to overcome?

For Gavin, teasing his brother comes naturally. It may very well be the role of an older sibling... to toughen up those that come after... but it's obviously more difficult to stop himself from tormenting his brother, than it is to acknowledge that it's not always the right thing to do.

When he came home from religion with this sweet little heart, it made me realize that Gavin places importance on the relationship that he has with Benett... but the follow-through can be tricky.

I wish I could say that this little phenomenon was exclusive to children. Although I've learned to play nice with my brother, I've found that I can relate to this simply crafted heart. To me, this heart reads, "Do what's right, no matter how uncomfortable... and regardless if someone else is watching."

It's not a resolution, by any means... but I have a feeling that 2012 will go down in the family archives as a year filled with change. There are parts that will force us to step outside of that precious comfort zone... and with a little practice we will make it through, having done what's right... no matter who's watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment