Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How to Wear a Tutu

Wearing a tutu isn’t for the faint of heart. It takes some chutzpah.
Crawling in a tutu is a whole different ball game. It's a good thing that babies don't know about VPL.
Ell has taken this tutu thing in stride. She actually seems to like it. I never thought I'd be one of those moms who gets into all of these frilly things... but come on! Who could resist this? (I'm even considering going back for the pink version. One tutu doesn't seem to be enough.)
What is it about little girls? How do they know to be excited about new things to wear? How do they know to be doubly excited about new things that have layers and layers of frill?
I remember wondering the same thing about the boys too... don't worry, they never wore tutus... But how did they know to make engine noises while playing with their truck/tractor/car/train? I knew that raising a girl would be different... but the difference between boys and girls has been vast, amazing and glorious.
My little boys are rough and tumble. They love dirt and trucks. They each have minds of their own and love to express their opinions.

My little girl is sweet. She's smiley and happy. She's accommodating and observant. She loves dolls, already.

It's true... Little girls are sugar and spice and everything nice. Except when we're not... And though I wouldn't consider myself 'girly' by any stretch of the imagination, I will say that I'm glad Ellie is.

My gift to her will be to bring her up in this boy's world with the self confidence and audacity to wear her tutu and love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment