Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Completely

I think I love this picture so much because I can hear the happiness. The slow smooth sound of the reels working, the zip of a line being cast into the lake, the lapping of the water, the quiet sound of boys chatting about the things that matter most... or saying nothing at all... being completely in the moment and comfortably in their element.

They are joyfully present.

That seems like a rarity - being completely in the moment. People don't do that anymore. We are mentally rushing off to the next thing, ticking off the bullet points on our mental to-do lists. It all happens in the name of efficiency... it's all very innocent, but before it even occurs to us to think about where we are, we've missed the essence of being present.

There is a lesson to be learned from boys on a sun-warmed dock.

I'm guilty of it myself. There are so many things I want to do... so many things I need to fit into a 24 hour period... I'll push and jostle, scrimp and rush... I'll multitask like a pro, all in the name of getting things 'done.' But at the end of it all, what does that mean? Have I set a good example? What have I really accomplished?

The ones teaching the lessons worth learning are right where they should be... body, mind and spirit.

Even after the long, slowish days of summer are replaced with the crisp fall breeze, I'll try to remind myself of the lesson these boys are teaching. That when the sound of happiness is deafening, and even when it's not, there is no other place to be than right here. Right now. Body. Mind. Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment