Monday, October 15, 2012

Climb

There is something fantastic about fall weather. The way our usual surroundings transform into something totally different, yet familiar. The way a cozy sweater is the perfect outer layer for a walk in the woods.

We love this fleeting season, and try to soak up as much of it as we can. With that in mind, the littlest people and I decided to go on a leaf walk today. We climbed and climbed and climbed until we reached the top step on our walking path. (More than 500 steps to the top!) I was so surprised they climbed all the way to the top of the bluff. My intention was to just select leaves that we spotted along the way... knowing they would get worn out and become too tired to continue. (After all they can't seem to muster the strength to walk up the flight of stairs in our home, most days.) But much to my surprise, they were on a mission to reach the summit. They did a great job.

At the top, we searched out leaves of different color and shape. I loved the way those leaves smelled. I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but the smell this morning reminded me of something... another time and place. Benett and Ellie were oblivious to my internal revelry... they just loved picking up each leaf, examining it and adding it to the stack or discarding it... jabbering as they went.

Descending all of those steps seemed to take longer than the trip up. And true to form, both of them had spells that made it impossible to walk a single step further... so I carried each for a while. It's funny how being carried will perk a little person right up.

When we arrived home, we put our leaves into a press. I think on Friday, we'll take our flat leaves and make a little display. Not quite sure what we'll do, but something will come to me. And as for the steps, I think we'll stay on level ground for a while. My legs need some time to recuperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment