Monday, December 27, 2010

Quiet

It's the day after, the day after the festivities. Apparently, real life was supposed to start again today, but I didn't get that memo. I'm not ready for it to be over. I'm not ready to stop listening to Christmas music. I'm not ready to stop eating (and eating and eating) Christmas cookies and treats. I'm not ready to put away the new treasures and packages that Santa delivered just a couple short days ago.

I'd love to stop the clock and live in this moment for a while. A long while. I want to enjoy these quiet moments when things aren't hectic. We're not in a rush. We can just be.

But the clock is still ticking, I know this because I can actually hear it. So, on we go.

It was with great reluctance that I plucked Ell from her crib this morning. She was warm and seemed softer than usual. Her fuzzy hair was standing on end, and she had sleepy eyes. As usual, she was as happy as can be. I took extra time feeding her. We perched ourselves on the sofa and looked at the snow while we snuggled under a blanket. I didn't want that moment to end.

Benett was even enjoyable this morning. (Miracle of miracles.) Be played with his new tractors and horses. (I chose to ignore Ell's pacifier in his mouth.) I love watching him play. He really gets into character.

It's 8:34 and Gavin is still sleeping. Monte took the little ones off to their day job and I'm here.... in the quiet. Listening to the clock tick. If I weren't so busy missing the days gone bye, I'm sure I'd be in my glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment