Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Believe

If there were a way to visually illustrate belief, this is surely it. Not just belief, but whole-hearted, unabashed belief. Throw in a dash of excitement (notice the edge of the seat) and a pinch of restraint and you have a little boy who’s just spotted Santa.
Even though I didn't capture the look on Gavin's face when he first heard Santa’s voice, I'll remember his reaction forever. He lit up, tried not to dash towards him, but rather patiently sit like he knew he should. For those of you who know him, sitting and waiting are not things that come easily (or naturally) for Gavin. But tonight he did both.
Tonight illustrated for me just how important it is to be in the moment. I was in the moment tonight, not thinking about anything else... all of my mental capacity was dedicated to my family, work wasn't even a blip on my radar... I was in the moment. The other valuable lesson was that though tonight wasn't supposed to be about Gavin, it meant a lot to him. These small innocuous, 'insignificant' moments are the ones that make up real life. Tonight was Benett's Christmas concert, but in the end, tonight was a big deal for Gavin and for me.
The wonder, the belief, is contagious. It’s the thing that fills up your soul and rekindles the fire in your heart. It’s invigorating and makes you feel like everything is right and good and as it should be. It’s God showing you his love through those who mean the most to you.
Gavin was thrilled. He saw the big man. He made is wishes known – nerf guns and mighty beanz are nothing to sneeze at. And me… well I’m filled with this really amazing feeling and covered with sticky finger prints. (Santa had candy canes.) Who knew a man in an ill-fitting red suit could make such an impact on a boy and his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment