Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Project

Making this holiday season meaningful and special for the kids is important to me. Advent began today. As a child I recall enjoying an advent calendar. It was something that I looked forward to at the end of each day. I wanted to try to create that for my kids and make it a project for me too.

So I set out to sew a 'calendar.' Each day in our Advent calendar is represented by a small pocket. It's nothing fancy, just 25 pockets sewn together and displayed on a small lighted tree. Each pocket is fleece, with a cotton lining and a button closure. I hand sewed the day on each and finished each off with a garnishment, in the form of a bell.

Each pocket holds a surprise for the children. Some days have notes with reminders and some hold treats. Today was a message, "Christmas is a season of love. Love for self and others." That's pretty boring for a 7 year old, so it was coupled with extra story time tonight.

I think that message was as important for me to remember as it was to introduce to the kids. After the day I had today... I needed that reminder. And the story time was a great way to focus on what is really important.

Gavin enjoyed the story, and opening the pocket. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow. I think I'll enjoy this as much as Gavin and Benett will.

No comments:

Post a Comment