Thursday, November 22, 2012

Abundance


I am indeed thankful for many things. I’ve been blessed to have a great abundance; treasures that take the shape of people… people for whom I care a great deal.

My greatest treasures are my little people. They keep me grounded in love, if not patience. And on a day like today, when I make an effort to really think about what they mean, instead of running through the day doing all of the things that need to be done, I can feel my heart overflowing with gratitude. I need to make a conscious effort to remember this feeling on the days when they are bickering and whining and making such a ruckus that there is no longer a quiet place in this house where I can retreat to for a second of peace (if not quiet).

I am guilty of not appreciating this abundance… recognizing the blessings which have been bestowed upon me and my family, on a daily basis. It takes a special day, one dedicated to giving thanks, in order to see how many gifts we’ve been given. I wish life weren’t too busy for true thanksgiving on the other 364 days throughout the year. But perhaps even if my weary mind is too tired on many nights to thank God for all that I’ve been given, my contented heart is surely giving thanks with every steady beat.


No comments:

Post a Comment