Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Two Can be Terrible

This little boy is Benett. He is two. I probably don't have to say much more than that... but I can't resist.

For Benett, being two means that he has a new job. That job is to figure out who he is, to become more independent and to learn to express himself. He takes this new job seriously. Very, very seriously.

So serious in fact, he forgets that the rest of us have to live within the same four walls. We've been trying to remind him. Each of use in our own unique way.

Little Miss Ellie is less subtle in her approach than the rest of us. She howls. I can almost hear her say, "Benett, stop! Please, I beg you! I'll do anything just stop the [insert loud noise of choice]. You're scaring me."

Once she gets going, Gavin starts. "You guys! Stop! [even louder] MOM! Benett and Ellie won't stop crying!"

At this point, Monte and I look at each other. I can hear you, Monte. You're not saying it out loud, (I don't think) but I can hear you clearly. I can hardly stand it either.

And then... low and behold... quiet. They're all sleeping. I'm not sure how we did it, but they're all in bed. Sleeping. The only sound I can hear is that of the dishwasher. I had no idea the dishwasher sounded so magical.

So with my magical dishwasher lulling me to sleep, I'm headed to bed. I need to get a good night's sleep. I know Benett is taking this time to think up new ways to do his job. He's learning a new trick in his sleep that will make me look back on today with fond memories of when things were easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment