Saturday, November 30, 2013

Celebrate

We had reason to celebrate on Thursday; our Thanksgiving holiday was doubly festive. My grandmother, who I always referred to as Gram; who the little people have always referred to as Granny, turned 90.

It was so nice to see her, and in such great spirits. I think she was excited to see everyone... and it was a busy party.

My little people were joined by three other little people... little boys... little boy cousins... little boy cousins who Ellie was happy to give a wide berth all day long. She said she was, "Shy of them." I think it's one thing to hold one's own with two brothers... but add three cousins and there is no chance. So Ellie dined at the adult table. She was delightful. (Meaning: she didn't embarrass her parents.) And the little boys enjoyed their own accommodations, which involved Matchbox cars and talk of video games.

I think about how much Granny has seen in her 90 years. It boggles my mind a little bit to think about how much the world has changed in that amount of time. I'm so thankful that my little people have great-grandparents who can maintain that link to the past. There are so many things to learn from the past. So many things to enjoy about their elders. I know Gavin appreciates those things... the others may be too little. For Benett and Ellie, we talk about the Grandmas and the Grandpas; we visit as often as we're able... I just wish the visits could be more frequent. They'll need those visits, to keep the memories strong enough to grow with them.

It was nice to see my cousins and their little ones. I enjoy that time and it's important for my little people to know their little cousins... even though we don't see them much. It didn't take the kids long to warm up to each other. Before long they were running and playing like fast friends. Miss Ellie was content to color, which seems to be her new favorite activity.

And a party wouldn't be a party without dessert. And I have to admit, pumpkin cake could be a substitute for the traditional birthday cake fare any day! It was delicious... just ask Gavin he 'sampled' each of the dessert options.

This day was like most Thanksgivings in that it involved a bit of work and was over too quickly. We were all ready for a nap by mid-afternoon, Granny especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment