Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Pattern

Today was report card day. It's something I've always looked forward to, mostly because of the opportunity to celebrate the hard work that each of the little people have done.

Of course I think all three of them are pretty special and have a lot to contribute both to their small social circles/classrooms, but to society as well. I've never really worried about them academically. I recognize that this is a blessing and something that not all parents can say. The idea of any one of them falling behind hasn't crossed my mind... but today I pause, just a bit.

Two of the little people are older in their classes, an obvious advantage. Being older and more mature really does help children to firmly grasp concepts and build from them. They're strong readers and have curious minds, two things that create a solid foundation for building upon.

One of my little people is young in terms of class age, curios and creative, like the others, but immature academically. Things don't stick quite the same way. Like trees in the forest, the little people are similar and different all at the same time. I love their uniqueness. I don't expect them to learn or grasp things in the same way... but I have this gnawing in the back of my mind that this little one is going to have to work harder.

I look for patterns in things. There is something reassuring about the rhythm of a pattern... with a pattern eventually things come back to a familiar state. Good or bad the familiarity is comforting. I see patterns in each of the little people. Good things that are steady guiding forces and the weak spots that emerge when things are stressful or busy or when we get lazy.

Each of the little people is unique and today I was reminded that none are the same and cannot be held to the same standard in learning. None will fall behind, getting lost in the shuffle... they have too much of life ahead of them for that... but each will have to work hard in different ways to find their own pattern for success.


No comments:

Post a Comment