Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blinders

I'm not a patient person.

I can admit that. My wiring doesn't work that way. I'm nothing like Monte... He seems to have been blessed with this bottomless reserve of patience.

I'm trying to be more like him. But learning patience is tough, and the one person I'm finding most difficult to find patience with is myself. That ironic realization was like a light bulb turning on. (Not one of the energy efficient ones that slowly turns on... but an old-fashion bulb that instantly jumps to life.)

I like to get things done. I don't like half-finished things... be it a project or a relationship or an idea. I like to put the blinders on and get things done. Check it off the list and move on to the next item. (Except while procrastinating... but that's another topic for another day.)

Now don't get me wrong. That mind set can be handy, especially in the projects arena. But when it comes to most other things, slow and methodical can be so much better. Take Monte for example. He never seems to get wound up about anything. In reality, he's processing things. Taking time to let ideas settle in and be considered. He's like a duck on a lake. On the surface looking calm and leisurely... but under water, those feet are paddling furiously.

I see Benett being more like me. (Impatient and three is not an ideal combination.) But also like me, I see him trying. Trying to not go off the deep end when things don't go his way. Looking to me for reassurance when he's not sure how to react. Trying to be more like his daddy. And I see a new reason for me to try harder to slow myself down.

Who knows, maybe both Benett and I will both be able to tame our impatience. To re-wire ourselves and be a little slower to react and a little quicker to give ourselves a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment