Saturday, November 20, 2010

Free to a Good Home

It started out as a mealworm. The little guy came home from school in a plastic tube filled with oatmeal, back in early October. I didn’t think much of it. To tell you the truth, I forgot all about it. So you can imagine my surprise when I went to grab the phone book out of the drawer today, and much to my dismay, found the tube. It no longer contained a little worm. Now we’ve got a big, black, UGLY beetle.
Gavin told me what the beetle was called… but to tell you the truth I wasn’t listening. I was too horrified by the bug. (Did I mention that it’s large?) Don’t get me wrong. I’m very impressed that Gavin remembered what it was, and knew so much about it. He also informed me that these particular bugs need to live in the dark. Perfect. Not only is this bug big and ugly, but it’s more comfortable in an environment where it can sneak up on the humans. (I’m sure it’s plotting an escape now.)
So now what? What am I supposed to do with the oatmeal eating bug that needs to live in my dark phone book drawer? I can’t leave it there. That just doesn’t seem right. I thought about releasing it into the wild… but with a high temperature of 29 degrees today, that didn’t seem right either.
So, if you are looking for a low maintenance pet... have I got a deal for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment